Skip to main content
SomersetBCP Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need building regulations?

Generally you will need to put in a building regulation application if you are doing any of the following:

  • erecting or extending a building
  • altering a building in a way that could affect the structural stability
  • altering the fire precautions
  • fire escapes or disabled access
  • inserting insulating material into the cavity wall of a building
  • underpinning a building
  • changing the use of a building by subdividing or just converting from one purpose group to another.

Contact us if you require confirmation of whether building regulations are required.

Which application do I need?

There are three types of submission.

  • Full plans - submitting all working drawings for approval.
  • Building Notice - this is a notification of works to be carried out, a Building Notice can only be used for single domestic properties.
  • Regularisation - This is a retrospective application for works already commenced or carried out.
How long will it take for a decision?

The timescale will change depending on the type of application made. For Full Plans, you will usually hear from us within 10 working days and would normally have a decision within 5 weeks. For a Building Notice, you should receive an acknowledgment within 48 hours. A Regularisation Certificate will be issued when the surveyor is satisfied that as far as can be reasonably be ascertained compliance with the Building Regulations has been met.

How much will it cost?

This can vary depending on the size and cost of works - please use our Fee Calculator to determine the correct fee. Please note that works to improve access and facilities for disabled persons may be exempt from fees and this should be clarified with us.

How do I make an application?

► Online via our Submit an application page

► Downloaded and e-mailed to

► By post to:

Somerset Building Control Partnership
Bridgwater House
King Square

Please do not send or hand deliver your applications to the offices of Mendip District Council or Somerset West and Taunton Council offices because this will delay the processing and approval of your applications.

How do I make a payment?

The preferred payment method is to pay by debit or credit card online as part of the online application process.

Alternatively, you can either:

  • Pay by debit or credit card over the telephone on 0300 303 7790.

  • Pay by BACS:

    • Bank Name                      National Westminster Bank

    • Address                            9 York Buildings, Cornhill, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 3BU

    • Sort Code                         60-03-27

    • Account No.                     7914 1684

    • Account Name                 Sedgemoor District Council

    • VAT No.                          131 2344 20

Please note: Your application will not be made valid until sufficient payment has been received.

Inspection Guidance

You have a legal statutory obligation to inform us when work starts on site and at each stage of construction. This is to ensure that the building work is monitored for compliance with the Building Regulations. Once work has finished on site and the surveyor is satisfied that the work is in accordance with the Building Regulations you will receive a Completion Certificate.

How can I obtain a copy Completion Certificate?

The homeowner can request a copy Completion Certificate, providing the application it relates to is less than 15 years old, as we only retain our records for this period of time. Please note, Land Registry evidence will be required if the name on the documentation being applied for differs to the currently registered homeowners.

All requests must be made in writing or by email. Please contact our Business Support Team by:

► Emailing


► Writing to:

Somerset Building Control Partnership

Bridgwater House

King Square




Administration and copying charges are £42.00 per document (no VAT included).