Skip to main content
SomersetBCP Logo


If you are planning to carry out demolition work you may need to let us know before you start. Building Control needs to be notified if the demolition is more than 50m3 in volume. This can be about the size of a two storey rear extension.

The application must be made at least six weeks before the work is due to start.  We will issue a notice setting out various conditions which are intended to ensure that the work is carried out safely and with no loss of public amenity.  No demolition operation should commence unless the Council has given a notice under Section 81 or six weeks has elapsed since the giving of notification to the Council as to the intention to commence a demolition operation.  This period is required to allow time for the Council to consult other interested parties. The Council will endeavour to consult as quickly as possible and in many cases will be able to give a notice within seven to fourteen days.

If you need to give us notice you can fill in the Section 80 Demolition Notice Form:

Icon for word Somerset Building Control Partnersip Demolition Notice Form Word [39.37KB]

It is also the responsibility of the person carrying out the demolition to consult:

  • occupiers of adjacent buildings

  • Gas and Electricity Boards.  

The Somerset Building Control Partnership will issue a section 81 notice, which may contain the following conditions:

  • shore up adjacent buildings 

  • weatherproof surfaces of adjacent buildings 

  • repair and make good damage to an adjacent building caused by the demolition 

  • remove material or rubbish form the site resulting from the demolition 

  • disconnect and seal any drain or sewer 

  • remove any drain or sewer 

  • make good the surface of the ground disturbed 

  • make arrangements for the disconnection of gas, water and electricity into the building 

  • make arrangements with regards to the burning of materials on site with:
    (i) the Health and Safety Executive
    (ii) fire authority

  • take such steps as the local authority consider necessary for the protection of the public and the preservation of public amenity.

Planning Permission may also be required for some types of demolition and you may need to obtain a Party Wall agreement with any adjoining owner.